Sunday, June 04, 2006

And the Challenge Begins...

Alrighty, lets begin. Step one was to contact legal services at Lambda Legal dot Org. Pose the question and just sit back; go surfing...have a beer, and have all the millions of statistics, case studies, or profiles land on my lap. I must have had a flashback from my partying days 'cause I was high as a mofo to think it was that easy. I was contacted yesterday by a wonderful woman in the Southeastern Division of Lambda Legal named Nancy and we chatted away like a couple o' school girls. They had no cases that they actively pursued in the prosecution of parents. None. What losers! Ha-haaa, kidding of course. Nor did they have statistics of this scenario, or knew of anyone that was taking the initiative to do so. She wasn't sure if child welfare services throughout the country singled out gay youth and treated those cases differently. She did say that they work closely with an organization called the Child Welfare League of America in attempting to place abandoned kids into foster care. She would like me to keep in contact with her about what I discover once I contact my other leads. She did say that Lambda Legal would be interested in backing me (us?) once we figured out what the hell we wanted to do. She wondered if I was planning to use my story to become the catalyst. I immediately said no, but maybe I jumped the gun a little. I would figure that most of America wouldn't really care about a past case. People like tangency and have to have it NOW! So, I would think a face someone can identify with currently being alienated would be better, right? I dunno, I have to think about that a bit more.
So, Nancy gave me more leads and suggestions. She assured me that what we (queer podcasters, bloggers, and vloggers) are going to be the new wave of activism. We will be allowed to fight and get the word out without the FCC breathing down our back, or the outside influence of advertising. She is glad not everyone out there is complacent.
So, if you aren't familiar with Lambda Legal, please check it out. I am going to go as far to say you should donate to them instead of HRC who, although do some great work, have big party fundraising and PR people working for them all the time. L.L. has been quietly fighting for our rights as human beings, without asking for applause or a kiss on the cheek. They have so much work to do, especially with our elected officials wanting to impose their bigoted beliefs into the constitution. Read up on them. Put links on your own blogs. They are there for us, if and when we need them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kalv1n said...

I love lambda legal. They're a great org. I think one problem with your case might be a statute of limitations, but who knows. Best of luck!

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home