Sunday, June 11, 2006

Son of a Bitch...

Its less than 48 hours before I jump on a plane and begin a new adventure in New York City. I am just all twitter-patted, butterflies in the tummy running around my apartment here in Miami Beach making sure everything is spik-n-span. I am sooooo stoked to be leaving Miami for many reasons, but one of the top ones would have to be the gosh darned tropical storms. First one of the season hits Florida tomorrow and we have been about a week into the season. I am stoked that New York, dispite at one point being one of the scariest places for me, is going to open up its arms to me. There actually will be a GLBT community where I can help out. I can hold hands with some cutie in Chelsea or West Villiage after a nice date. From what I've heard the men like to date up there in New York. How refreshing! A safe little piece of urban heaven. Then I read this:


A singer whose songs have topped the Billboard dance chart was attacked by a group yelling anti-gay slurs, and four people were arrested on hate-crime charges, police and his publicist said.

Kevin Aviance, 38, underwent surgery for a broken jaw after the attack Saturday, said his publicist, Len Evans. Police said the singer, whose song "Alive" hit the top of the chart in 2002, was in stable condition.

A group of six or seven men attacked Aviance early Saturday, and passers-by did not stop to help as they threw objects at him, Evans said.

Four people were arrested on charges of first-degree assault as a hate crime, police said. They were identified as Jarell Sears and Akino George, both 20; Gregory Archie, 18; and Gerard Johnson, 16.

Aviance performs in drag but was "dressed like a boy" when he was attacked, Evans said. He had planned to take part in next week's Gay Pride parade and festivities, but will now be unable to perform, the publicist said.

Other popular songs by the singer have included "Give It Up," released in 2004, and "Din Da Da," which topped the Billboard dance chart in 1997.

I have had the pleasure of making Mr. Aviance's acquaintance a few times in my life. My heart goes out to him. I wonder how much hope he had that one person in one of those cars wouldn't actually throw something at him, and would help him out. I wonder how angry he is. I will blame this attrocity on the President. I will blame it on the Mary Cheneys, Jerry Falwells, the Pat Robersons, the Pope. I blame the complacent, the ignorant, the weak. I blame the media, the shock jocks, the bible thumpers. I place the blame on these people because they have made it acceptable to continue the blatant hatred for a group of people, to continue the cycle of violence. Thank you sooooo freaking much Mr. President, for putting those words of hate out there for all the younguns to see and expand upon. Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home