Thursday, June 29, 2006

Party and Pride...

So life has been a bit chaotic lately. I have been trying to find a place here in NY, then I get sick as a dog with strep throat and the flu. I have been miserable the last week and a half. Stress has a weird way of beating down your body. I have a tendancy to internalize everything that is going on in my life so of course it just weekens the immune system. However, it isn't to say that I have been a total potato and laying on the couch all day. I have been getting lost in the world of NYC, and yes, it is a world unto itself. I have been speaking with various people here and everyone bitches how small Manhattan really is. I don't see how that is possible to tell you the truth. I have been lost in the great masses of people swarming in the subways, streets, and buildings. I feel infinitely small dispite my 6'4" frame and dark and brooding way. I sit on the subway and watch what other people are thinking about. Sad faces, happy faces, angry and confused faces, scared, excited, lost, intimidated, and inquisitive faces. I swear though, if one of those faces sneezes or coughs on me again, I will have to flip out. Not used to my space being all invaded like that. Cooties everywhere.

I have been to a few of the places that I used to sleep when I was without a home in early 90's. Alot has changed in many of those places. One of the areas is now "up-and-coming". It is called Red Hook. Back in 93', if you were intelligent you did not go into Red Hook. Very, very dangerous and industrial. I am not sure if cops actually even bothered to go through there, to tell you the truth. If you got jacked up or stabbed chances were that was the last place you human eyes would see. Now, it has huge lofts for rent and there are some cute resturants by the water. Lots of artists are moving in. I can't believe it! There was also this park off of Carroll St. in Brooklyn that I used to crash at too. It was right up against a school. I think I felt safest there, even though I had to stay well enough hidden from the cops so I wouldn't get hauled off. I got this huge lump in my throat when I went to visit it again. I brought a video camera but I just couldn't get the nerve up to record anything. My stomach is churning as I write this. It was such a shitty moment in my life. I am still not over it, so I am gonna change the subject. I don't like this feeling.

Soooo, please take a look at some of the amazing stuff Brad from Willing Warrior has posted lately. He has been doing some amazing stuff. The most recent Vlog he posted has some great footage from San Fransico Pride that Gina provided and some footage from the Anti-Violence Project Rally that I sent. It is interesting to see the two different points of view and thoughts from the two different coastal communities. I especially like an answer that a woman provided about what pride meant to her. She just wasn't sure anymore. It seems the concept and the idea of pride has changed lately (last 10 years). I don't think the message from the Stonewall Riots of '69 is still with us anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home